I've decided to start blogging my BJJ training to track my progress...
Last night I decided to switch gyms from LA Boxing to Evanston Boxing Gym for 2 main reasons:
1) They offer both Gi and No-Gi. If I want to start competing in the future, I feel that I need to get more technique down with Gi.
2) The BJJ instructor (Jeff Serafin) is a brown belt under Jack McVicker. I'm excited to go back to the school that I started with!
Anyway...to the training!
I'm going to have to stretch out before class starts, because we went right into technique. I've been used to about a 30 min warmup + stretches before technique, so I'll need to get there early to do some on my own.
Technique:
1) From guard- grabbing cross-collar and same side arm, breaking down the opponent's base, and then taking the back.
2) Same thing, but then going for a cross-collar choke if you can't take the back
3) Going for the back, then choke, and finishing with an armbar from guard
After we did technique for about 30 minutes, we played "King of the Hill". Jeff asked for someone to go to the middle of the mat on their back. Nobody volunteered at first, so I jumped in. The purpose was for the man on the ground to not let anyone pass. If the "King" swept or subbed the attacker, the next person jumped in.
I did pretty well, although someone passed my guard on the first try after a few minutes. Jeff said that I had some good hip movement, but I know I need to work on my open guard a bit more.
We did 2 rounds of open roll given the timing. I was completely owned the first round by a 4 stripe white. He got me with some nasty collar chokes and really held a dominant position the entire time.
My second round I went against a newer student who I must have outweighed by 60 lbs. I had a few finishes on him (americana from side control and guillotine from guard).
I was very winded after the 2nd round. It must have been the gi... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment